Biomedical Engineering (Bioengineering) is an applied field of science and engineering at the intersection of engineering, biology, healthcare, and medicine. The field of biomedical engineering involves the application of principles of engineering (mechanical, electrical, electronics, computer science, and chemical engineering) and basic sciences (physics, mathematics, chemistry, and biology). Earlier, we have discussed the best MS Biotechnology programs in the US. In this article, we will look at the top MS Bioengineering programs in the US.
The biomedical engineering field combines the knowledge of how the human body works and the principles of engineering. In the last few years, the MS Bioengineering program in the US has been gaining a lot of traction among the students. Biomedical engineering or bioengineering graduates can take employment in:
- Basic and applied research in engineering, biology, and medicine
- Medical or scientific research services
- Professional engineering and consulting
- Medical equipment and supplies manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical equipment and drug manufacturing
- Technical support in a clinical setting
Best MS Biomedical Eengineering (Bio-Engineering) Programs in USA
The core courses focus on quantitative biology and biological systems analysis. Electives include mathematics, statistics, engineering, physical sciences, life sciences, medicine, and many other disciplinary fields.
Specializations are available in:
- Biomedical Computation
- Regenerative Medicine/Tissue Engineering
- Molecular and Cell Bioengineering
- Biomedical Imaging
- Biomedical Devices
[inbound_button font_size=”20″ color=”#c8232b” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”arrow-circle-o-right” url=”https://www.stoodnt.com/counselor-detail/tanmoy-ray” width=”” target=”_blank”] Sign up for 1:1 Session (Phone/Skype) with Tanmoy Ray[/inbound_button]
The JHU Master’s is another excellent program in the field of biomedical engineering. The program is designed for students who wish to pursue careers in research and development, academics, or medicine. The program prepares students to pursue careers in research and development, or as a step toward PhD or MD / PhD education.
It’s a flexible program. Those who want to choose the thesis option can finish the program in two years. Those who want to finish the program in one year can complete the MSE degree through one of the following focus areas:
- Biomedical Data Science
- Biomedical Imaging & Instrumentation
- Computational Medicine
- Genomics and Systems Biology
- Regenerative and Immune Engineering
It’s a one-year professional master’s degree program (PSM) targeted towards the students who want a combination of technical and commercial understanding that allows them to quickly assume leadership roles in their engineering careers.
Students will develop sound technical skills along with a broad set of management skills needed to lead technology enterprises and ventures.
The program also provides a Capstone project.
The MTM program is an intense year of coursework at UCB & UCSF and hands-on projects. The curriculum is designed around three main content themes:
- Clinical Needs and Strategies
- Business, Entrepreneurship, and Technology
The MS Bioengineering program is one of the most innovative and unique programs at Georgia Tech. This program allows flexibility and creativity to the students to pursue interdisciplinary research.
Students are taught and trained by the faculty members from the Colleges of Engineering, Computing, Sciences, and Architecture, as well as Emory University School of Medicine.
Georgia Tech also offers a Master’s program in Biomedical Innovation and Development (MBID). The MBID program is a full-time, one-year residential program that is completed in three sequential semesters over 12 months.
The MBID addresses a gap in current professional biomedical education: the crucial “bench-to-bedside” progression that transforms biomedical research into practical, usable techniques and products for improving patient care.
Students will study with experts in clinical practice, engineering design and development, best-practices manufacturing, financial planning, and commercialization, as well as guest lecturers from the diverse healthcare industry.
At UT Austin, the Master’s program can be obtained in two ways – MS with coursework and MS with a thesis.
The core modules are:
- Biological or clinical sciences.
- Basic or applied mathematics
Students must take a course from three of the four technical areas below:
- Technical area 1: Biomedical Imaging and Instrumentation.
- Technical area 2: Cellular and Biomolecular Engineering.
- Technical area 3: Computational Biomedical Engineering.
- Technical area 4: Molecular, Cellular, and Tissue Biomechanics.
Available specializations are:
- Multiscale Bioengineering
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine
- Systems Biology and Medicine
The Duke BME Master of Science (MS) degree provides a solid foundation of rigorous training and research experience to propel your career to developing new biomedical technologies. It’s a great program for the folks who are looking at to do PhD in biomedical engineering.
Duke also offers MEng program, which is more professional and industry-oriented. There are also opportunities for internships at the nearby Research Triangle Park.
Rice University’s Master of Bioengineering (M.B.E.) is a non-thesis professional degree program. The degree has two tracks to choose from:
- The Applied Bioengineering track is a flexible degree program for students who want to pursue careers in research, medicine, or related fields. Specializations are available in Biomaterials and Drug Delivery, Biomedical Imaging and Diagnostics, Computational and Theoretical Bioengineering, Tissue Engineering and Biomechanics, or Systems and Synthetic Biology.
- The Global Medical Innovation (GMI)track is specifically for students who want to pursue a career in the global medical technology industry. Options for specializations include Biomaterials and Drug Delivery, Biomedical Imaging and Diagnostics, Computational and Theoretical Bioengineering, Tissue Engineering and Biomechanics, or Systems and Synthetic Biology.
[inbound_button font_size=”20″ color=”#c8232b” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”arrow-circle-o-right” url=”https://www.stoodnt.com/career-college-admission-counselling” width=”” target=”_blank”] Book a Counselling Session with our MS Admission Consultants[/inbound_button]
The program provides customized curriculum and prepares students for a career in industry, research & development, government, and academia. Option for both thesis and a non-thesis track is available. The program is usually finished within 12 to 18 months.
The MEng program focuses on both the molecular and macroscopic aspects of biomedical engineering and comprises five research areas: biomedical instrumentation; drug delivery, design, and metabolism; biomaterials; computational and systems biology; and medical biomechanics.
The MS track provides rich, interdisciplinary opportunities in research and education leading to the Ph.D. degree in Biomedical Engineering. It integrates engineering and the life sciences to prepare students for diverse careers in academia, industry, and government.
It’s a research-based MS Bioengineering program. In this program, students gain interdisciplinary knowledge of mathematics, engineering principles, physics, chemistry, physiology, and modern biology.
Another unique component of the program is the Technology Commercialization.
The Michigan program is one of the most diverse programs in terms of specializations. Available options are:
- Bioelectrics and Neural Engineering
- Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine
- Biomechanics and Biotransport
- Biomedical Imaging and Ultrasonics
- Biotechnology and Systems Biology
- Medical Product Development
The Master’s program is aimed towards students who seek a career in the biomedical industry or pursue further formal education in graduate or professional schools. Both thesis and non-thesis options are available.
Those who wish to pursue a variety of positions in the industry may find it advantageous to enter the MS without thesis track. Those who plan to become researchers in academic, industry or government laboratories should choose the MS with thesis track.
Those who are interested in research can choose one of the following concentrations:
- Biomaterials and Regenerative Medicine
- Imaging and Biophotonics
- Neural Engineering and Rehabilitation
Specializations are available in the following areas:
- Molecular Cellular Tissue Therapeutics (MCTT)
- Biomedical Instrumentation (BMI)
- Imaging, Informatics and Systems Engineering (IIS)
This imaging field consists of the following four subfields:
– Biomedical Signal and Image Processing (BSIP)
– Biosystem Science and Engineering (BSSE)
– Medical Imaging Informatics (MII)
– NeuroEngineering (NE)
The program combines technical engineering electives with an experiential, clinically focused biomedical product design and development sequence. Students in the Biomedical MEng degree program will work with leading clinicians to design and develop innovative engineering solutions to clinical problems.
The Master of Science (MS) Program in Biomedical Engineering at Boston is a degree program designed to provide advanced training in biomedical engineering. The program requires students to establish the necessary foundation in molecular- or systems-level biology/physiology and mathematics, in addition to advanced biomedical engineering coursework.
The program is designed to be completed by full-time students in one year. Students choosing to complete a thesis are expected to complete the program in two years. Students who excel in the BME MS program are encouraged to continue in the BME PhD program.
This non-thesis program prepares students for a professional career and may be completed on either a full-time or part-time basis. In lieu of a research component, the PSM option requires PLUS courses in business, a communications course, and a professional internship in a specialization area of Biomedical Engineering or Biotechnology.
Biomedical Engineering Specialization Options:
- Biomaterials: Tissue Engineering, Polymers/Plastics, Fibers/Textiles, Nanotechnology
- Biomedical Information Systems: Bioinformatics, Cheminformatics, Genomics, Proteomics
- Biomedical Instrumentation: Sensors, Signal Processing, Clinical Sciences
- Biomechanics: Joint/Muscle Mechanics
- Integrative Physiology: Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Modeling
- Medical Imaging: Optics, NMR, MRI, Acoustics, Cell Imaging
- Medical Physics: Radiation Therapy, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Imaging, Nuclear Instrumentation
Internships (3 – 6 months) or research project experiences will typically take place in clinical, pharmaceutical, diagnostic, biotechnological or medical device companies or institutions. Research experience can also be obtained at the University or other research centers.
There are three distinct pathways to a Master of Science degree at Rochester.
In Plan A, courses are taken both in support of the research project and to broaden the student’s educational experience. Plan A is centered on the successful execution and communication of an in-depth research project. The option requires a thesis defense.
Plan B focuses on developing an advanced understanding of biomedical engineering principles. Courses are selected to provide depth in an area of the student’s interest and to develop an understanding of the breadth of applications in biomedical engineering. This option requires an exit exam.
Plan C is the one-year master’s degree in biomedical engineering specializing in medical technology and innovation. This option features an eight-week clinical immersion in the University of Rochester Medical Center. During immersion, students directly observe the clinical settings and are therefore better able to address clinical needs when developing design solutions.
The program provides a unique educational experience in both clinical care and bioengineering design. This program is part of the Plan B coursework structure.
[inbound_button font_size=”20″ color=”#c8232b” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”arrow-circle-o-right” url=”https://www.stoodnt.com/counselor-detail/tanmoy-ray” width=”” target=”_blank”] Book a 1:1 Session (30/60 Minutes) with Tanmoy Ray[/inbound_button]