Looking for railway jobs after B.Tech or graduation? You are not alone. The craze for Government or Public Sector jobs among Indian youths is humongous and unparalleled. Every year, thousands of candidates aspire for UPSC, IAS and Bank Jobs. Another sector that is extremely popular is Indian Railways. In this post, we will talk about how to get railway jobs in India – eligibility and exams. Additionally, we will also go through the job opportunities in the Indian Railways after class 12, B.Tech, and MBBS.
Quick Facts about Indian Railways
As far as employment is considered, Indian Railways has always been the backbone of the Indian government as well as the Indian economy. The network of Railways is a medium to connect all states with each other. This is the reason why railway jobs are one of the most sought after jobs in India.
The Indian Railways is one of the world’s largest biggest employers with 1.4 million people as a workforce (as of 2017). In 2017, the Railways conducted the world’s biggest online recruitment to hire for 18,000 employees.
Nationalized in 1951, Indian Railways is today the largest rail network in Asia and the world’s second-largest network operated under single management. It has 115,000 km of track length (2015). It runs 12,617 trains to carry over 23 million passengers daily – equivalent to moving the entire population of Australia – connecting more than 7,172 stations.
Benefits of Railway Jobs
- Secure job and hence a stable career.
- Railway offers residential quarters to its employees. Most of the staff live in these residential quarters within railway colonies that have all the handiness that the residents need.
- Employees are entitled to avail the facility of subsidized meals and refreshments at any of the Railway canteens all over the country.
- Railway has its own school and colleges for the children of the employees. The children get passes for free travel for the whole family.
- Railway employees get free medical care in Railway hospitals.
- There are recreational facilities and sporting events.
- Athletes can use the Sports Quota to gain entry into the Indian Railways, otherwise not available in private firms.
- Last but not least, the salary structure is also pretty good for railway employees (Rs. 80,000 – 90,000 per month for Class 1 / Group A officers, Rs. 50,000 for Group B officers, Rs. 20,000+ for Group C employees, and Rs. 10,000 – 18,000 for Group D staff) along with other perks like HRA, medical, transport, etc.
So, it’s very simple to understand why so many youths dream of a railway job in India. However, there are a few disadvantages as well.
Disadvantages of Railways Jobs
- Career growth is not as directly related to merit as it is in the private sector. The promotion typically depends on seniority.
- Being a transferrable job, family stability is often disrupted keeping spouses from having a stable constant job in one place. Children too have to shuttle between transferred locations, adding to the stress of frequent uprooting.
- Bureaucracy is pretty obvious. Simple tasks may take months to approve leading to a repeated hindrance to work progress.
- The nature of Railway jobs can be demanding on your routine. “Work Shifts” are not conventional, often invading personal family space.
- As always with public sector jobs – it’s extremely competitive to get the jobs (not impossible at all). In 2018, 2 crore candidates applied for 89,000 vacancies (source: NDTV).
Now, we will move on to our primary focus of this article – how to get the railway jobs in India.
How to Get Railway Jobs in Inia
Eligibility, Exams, Salaries
Co-authored by Parinita Gupta
The Railway jobs have interested the youth and their parents for a long time in this country. The jobs in the Railway sector ensure a long-term, stable and safe work environment for the youth. Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) puts out job vacancies often and it is a sector that has the most stable jobs and decent salaries. In India, Railway is a government sector so the job in railways is always given preference. If you are keen to work on the Indian railway then keep on reading.
The Indian railways have been doing very good in the past years in terms of revenue. Being in the government sector, you do not have to worry about the financial status of the sector as once you a railway employee, you will get numerous benefits.
How to Get Railway Jobs in India
Indian railway is one of the best employers in the country. As an employee of the railway, you will have access to many benefits like you will get free training to enhance your skill set. The journey through train will be free for you and your family. If you are a sports person then you can participate in the games organized by Indian railway. The most important of all if some mishappening takes place during the term of your service, a stable job position will be offered to your child or any relative on compassionate grounds.
All of these benefits and many more wait for you when you join the railway services. But first, you ought to know about the eligibility and the procedure of the exam set by Railway Recruitment Board.
Basic Eligibility Criteria for Railway Jobs in India
The Indian railway services are divided into two cadres – technical and non-technical. They are then further divided into four groups- A, B, C and D.
- Among these groups, group A and group B are the official cadre posts. The medical staff, engineering staff, and the officials come under group A and group B. The exams for group A are conducted by Union Service Public Commission. There is Special Class Railway Apprenticeship Examination (SCRA) that is conducted separately for the youth who is interested to get into railway services right after HSC.
- Group C is the subordinate staff positions like supervisors, clerks, and skilled labor. Group D consists of unskilled labors. The exams for group C and group D are conducted by the Railway Recruitment Control Board.
Eligibility Criteria for Group A, Group B, Group C, and Group D Railway Jobs
GROUP A: One can apply for group A posts if one has a bachelor’s degree in engineering (Master of Science), medical (MBBS) or any other relevant stream. For SCRA, the eligibility is HSC with PCM or equivalent.
Age limit: 32 years (relaxation for OBC/SC/ST candidates)
GROUP B: One cannot apply for the group B posts, there is no exam for group B because the group B officials are promoted from the group C cadre by the railway. When there has been a specific time for which the employee has been serving the railway in group C then he is promoted to group B.
GROUP C: For group C, the eligibility is 10th or equivalent for the ALP or technician, 10+2 or equivalent for ticket collector and graduation or equivalent for goods guard or Assistant Station Master. The eligibility of age varies from 30-33 years depending upon the social status of the person.
GROUP D: For group D, the staff consists of porters, gatemen, trackmen, etc. Group D railway job vacancies are advertised on the website of RRB and all the main national newspapers.
[inbound_button font_size=”20″ color=”#c8232b” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”arrow-circle-o-right” url=”https://www.toprankers.com/subscription-plans?utm_source=STDNT&utm_medium=AFMK&utm_campaign=SP” width=”” target=”_blank”] Attempt 2000+ Tests for Railway and other Govt. exams in 2020-21[/inbound_button]
How to Get Railway Jobs after 12th
After having completed +2 and wishing to join in Railways is possible as you would need to write the entrance exam for joining in Railways and the exam which you need to write is the RRB Exam which stands for Railway Recruitment Board. For folks with no college degrees, the following job positions are available within the Indian Railways:
- Ticket Checker or Ticket Examiner (aka Ticket Collector)
- Railway Constable
- RRB Loco Pilot
- Goods Guard
- Railway Information Department
- Railway Driver
- Railway Clerk
How to Get Railway Jobs after B.Tech or BE
Railway jobs options for final year B.Tech (or BE students) have increased over time. Central government departments and institutions and departments of many state governments hire candidates in technical departments for which BTech final year students are eligible to apply. Most of the vacancies in technical departments of Railways demand minimum 55% marks in BE or BTech.
After clearing B.Tech, you can appear for the following exams:
- RRB ALP
- RRB JE SSE
- RRB NTPC
- RRC Group D Exam
- Indian Services Examination (IES), conducted by UPSC
- Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
Railway Jobs for B.Tech Final Year Candidates and Engineering Graduates
- Indian Railways Traffic service
- Indian Railways Personnel service
- Indian Railways store service
- Indian Railways Electrical engineer
- Sr. section engineer
- Junior engineer
- Senior P- way supervisor
- Chief Depot Material Superintendent
- Depot Material Superintendent etc
- Indian Railway Service of Engineers
- Central Engineering Service
- Assistant Executive
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service
- Assistant Station Master (ASM)
- Sr. Section Engineer
- Station Master
- Database Administrator
- Additional General Manager
- Telecommunication Engineer
- Deputy General Manager
- Station Controller
- Junior computer operator
- Customer Relations Assistant
- Junior Engineer etc
- Executive Engineers
- Assistant Executive Engineers
- Superintendent Mechanical Engineers
Railway Jobs after MBBS
For MBBS graduates having age less than 32 years (age relaxation for OBC/SC/ST), the Indian Railways sector has got many job opportunities. They can go for IRMS: Medical Service after clearing Combined Medical Services Examination (CMSE) conducted by UPSC. MBBS graduates will be recruited as Group A (Class I) staff.
RRB NTPC EXAM PATTERN
The procedure of selection for RRB NTPC include the four stages-
Stage 1 is a Computer-based Test. The test is 120 minutes long. The total number of questions is 100 and they are divided into 40 questions of general awareness, 30 questions of maths, and 30 questions of reasoning.
Stage 2 is again a Computer-based test with the same duration of 120 minutes but different questions, a total number of questions is 120. The general awareness questions are 50, mathematics is 35 and reasoning is 35.
Stage 3 is Typing skill test for the post of senior clerk, junior accounts assistant and account clerk. Here, the eligibility to clear the test is to be able to type at least 30 WPM in English or 25 WPM in Hindi. Marks of the typing skill test are not added for making merit.
Stage 4 is document verification and medical test. Based on the total score of the Computer-based Test, the qualifying candidates will be called further for the medical test and the document verification. This is the last stage of the test.
Syllabus for NTPC RRB
The syllabus of mathematics will be Simplification, percentage, interest, ratio and proportion, average, speed distance and time, algebra, profit and loss, mensuration, number series, time and work, and mixture problems.
The syllabus of general intelligence and reasoning will be – classification, series, blood relations, analogy, coding-decoding, ordering and ranking, clock and calendar, Venn diagram, missing numbers, puzzles, and non-verbal reasoning.
The syllabus for general awareness includes- natural resources, current affairs, natural resources, disease reasons and cures and miscellaneous.
So, the age criteria of NTPC RRB exams is 30 years of age. For SC/ ST and OBC, these criteria of age are extended to be 33 years.
[inbound_button font_size=”20″ color=”#0080ff” text_color=”#ffffff” icon=”arrow-circle-o-right” url=”https://www.toprankers.com/subscription-plans?utm_source=STDNT&utm_medium=AFMK&utm_campaign=SP” width=”” target=”_blank”] Sign Up for 2000+ Tests for Railway and other Govt. exams in 2020-21[/inbound_button]
If you are interested in railway jobs, then it would take sincere studies to crack the examination. Once you are in the merit, you will be appointed as a staff of Indian railway and you will have access to all the facilities provided to the staff of the railway. You will be granted a housing facility, health, and medical facility, and education facility for your family. So, think no more. Whenever the notification of a job vacancy is released by the railway, apply for it according to your eligibility and enjoy the lifelong benefits of being a railway employee.
At present, the Indian Railways is making big plans that include Bullet Trains, Unmanned Level Crossings, improved mobile app, sustainable development, etc. More importantly, Indian Railways will be hiring 400,000 (4 Lakhs) candidates in the next 2 years. Hence, there is no better time for joining the Indian Railways and serving the nation while having a stable career.
Author Bio: Parinita Gupta is a full-time banking professional. Additionally, she is also a passionate blogger and digital marketer.
She mostly writes about the Banking & Finance, Technology, and FinTech sector. But, she also enjoys writing on other topics as well. You can follow her on Twitter.