The JEE Main 2020 January session (first attempt) was recently conducted by NTA from January 6 to 9, 2020. In this post, we will look at the IIT-JEE 2020 April session exam dates, JEE 2020 exam pattern and changes, JEE Main 2020 answer key, result date, and anticipated cut off marks for JEE Main 2020.
The Indian Institute of Technology Joint Entrance Examination (IIT-JEE) is one of the toughest entrance exams to crack in India. It’s held in two phases – JEE-Main and JEE-Advanced. The success rate of 1 in 45, speaks of the difficulty in getting through the test. Over 17 to 20 engineering colleges which include the IITs, NITs and other centrally funded technical institutions make use of the JEE test performance to eliminate or select candidates.
Once selected students can choose from courses like engineering, architecture, design, technology, and sciences in colleges that recognize the JEE score. This entrance exam is a favorite among the Indian crème de la crème and being selected is considered to be the highest achievement of a student. Aspirants looking for getting admitted to the UG courses at the IITs/ISM Dhanbad through JEE (Advanced) are also required to take the test. (Official Website – https://jeemain.nic.in)
Dates for JEE Main 2020
National Testing Agency (NTA) organizes JEE Main exam twice in a year – January & April sessions. NTA has published exam dates of 2020.
- January session – January – 6 to 9, 2020
- April session – April 3 to 9
JEE Main 2020 Result
JEE Main 2020 January exam results will be published on January 31, 2020.
JEE Main 2020 Important Dates for April Session –
- Availability of Application Form for JEE Main 2020 April session – February 7
- Final Date for Submission of Application Form for JEE Main 2020 April Session – March 7
- Application Form Correction Facility (For First Time Registered Candidates; except choice of cities) – To be notified
- Release of Admit Card for JEE Main 2020 April session – March 16, 2020
- JEE Main 2020 April session Exam Dates – April 3 to 9, 2020
- Availability of Answer Key and Recorded Candidate Responses – To be notified
- Release of Final Answer Key (Paper I & Paper II) – To be notified
- Declaration of Result – April 30, 2020
JEE Main Exam Schedule 2020 –
Tentative Examination Day Schedule of JEE Main 2020
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility
Candidates who have passed their XII or equivalent exam in 2018, 2019 or are appearing in 2020 are eligible for writing the JEE Main 2020 test. For those aspiring to write the B. Planning, must have passed the qualifying examination with 50 % marks in Mathematics and 50% marks in aggregate of the qualifying examination.
**There is no age limit for JEE Main.
JEE 2020 Exam Syllabus
It is important for candidates to know the full syllabus before they start preparing. By going carefully through the JEE Main syllabus, students will know about the subjects and topics from where the questions will be set. JEE Main 2020 syllabus for Paper 1, 2 and 3 has been published by NTA online. From 2020, BPlan will be separated from BArch and henceforth, BPlan will be a separate paper. Knowing the complete syllabus will help candidates to plan their studies accordingly.
JEE 2020 Exam Pattern
JEE Main 2020 completely in online mode through Computer Based Test (CBT) by National Testing Agency. The pattern of JEE Main 2020 exam is likely to be similar to the previous year edition of the test which includes two papers of JEE Main 2020 – Paper 1 for engineering aspirants and Paper 2 for students seeking admissions in architecture and planning courses.
JEE Main 2020 Exam Pattern – Paper 1
|Mode of Examination||Computer-based test mode|
|Duration of exam||3 hours|
|Total subjects||Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics|
|Number of questions||75 (20 + 5 numerical questions from each subject)|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions having 4 options each with 1 correct option|
|Marking Scheme||Each correct response will be rewarded 4 marks; 1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect response. Unattempted questions will not be marked.|
|Maximum Marks||300 Marks|
|Medium of paper||English or Hindi (Candidates from Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli can opt for Gujarati as well)|
JEE Main Exam Pattern 2020 – Paper 2
|Mode of exam||Mathematics and Aptitude test will be conducted in computer-based test mode, whereas Drawing test will be conducted in the pen-and-paper mode|
|Duration of exam||3 hours|
|Total subjects||Mathematics, General Aptitude, and Drawing skills|
|Total number of questions||77 for B.Arch Section (Mathematics 20 questions, Aptitude 50 and Drawing 2)
100 for B.Planning Section (Mathematics 20 questions, Aptitude 50 and Planning 25)
|Nature of Questions||Maths and Aptitude will be Multiple Choice Questions while drawing section will have questions to test the drawing and sketching skills of the candidate|
|Marking Scheme||Every correct response will be awarded 4 marks; for each incorrect response, 1 mark will be deducted. Marking will not be done for unattempted questions.|
|Maximum Marks||Total of 400 Marks|
|Medium of paper||English or Hindi (Candidates from Gujarat, Daman & Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli can choose Gujarati as well)|
Changes in the JEE 20202 exam pattern
- Paper 1 will henceforth have 25 questions from each section instead of 30. Also, 25 MCQs each section will include 5 numerical.
- For paper 2 BPlan will be separated from BArch and henceforth. Students appearing for B.Planning will have to attempt 25 MCQs from the ‘Planning’ section instead of the Drawing section. Also, the Aptitude MCQs have been reduced to 25 from 30 last year.
JEE 2020 Answer Key
The Answer key will be available in the month of January 2020. To access the answer key candidates have to enter their application number and password. After downloading it, candidates will get to know the correct answers to the questions asked in the test and able to calculate the probable score. In case candidates find any discrepancy in the Answer key, they can openly challenge the Answer key by paying a certain amount of fee and submitting proof.
JEE 2020 Cut Off Score
NTA will release the JEE Main Cut Off by online mode. To appear in the All India centralized counselling process, it is necessary for the candidates to obtain the minimum cut off marks. The cut off marks will be released for various categories.
Tentatively, about 2.5 lakh students are expected to qualify for JEE Advanced 2020.
Students who qualify would be able to appear for JEE Advanced 2020. NTA would also be conducting JEE Main 2020 in April and the JEE Main 2020 Rank (which would be used for qualification criteria for eligibility of JEE Advanced) would be released only after the JEE Main 2020 April Results are declared. JEE Main Rank is relevant for admission to the National Institutes of Technology (NITs).
Below are the cut-off score trends for the previous years –
Top Reference Books for JEE Exam
- Integral Calculus by Arihant
- Class XI & XII by R.D. Sharma
- Differential Calculus by Arihant
- Higher Algebra by Hall Knight+ Bernard-child
- Higher Algebra by Hall Knight+ Bernard-child
- Problems in Calculus of One Variable Algebra by I.A.Maron
- Fundamentals of Physics Resnick, Halliday, Walker
- Concepts of Physics by H. C Verma Vol 1 and Vol 2
- Arihant Physics by D. C. Pandey
- Problems in General Physics by I.E. Irodov
- Advanced level Physics by Nelson and Parker
- Elements of Dynamics by S.L.Loney
- Organic Chemistry by Paula Bruice Yurkanis
- Physical Chemistry by N Awasthi
- Organic Chemistry by M.S. Chauhan
- Atkins’ Physical Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry by J.D.Lee
- Inorganic Chemistry by O.P.Tandon
- JEE Main admit card
- A valid photo ID (passport, college/school ID card, driving license)
- One passport size photograph
- PwD category candidates will have to carry a copy of the PwD certificate in the prescribed format
Students aspiring to take the JEE Main exam 2020, will have to register online, fill details, upload images, and pay the application fee. The fee for JEE Main 2020 is Rs 650 for unreserved, and Rs 325 for SC, ST, PwD, female, transgender.
More than 12 lakh candidates take the JEE Main test every year aspiring for a seat in the NITs, IIITs or GFTIs. Preparation tips for the test demand rigorous hard work and disciplined steps to be followed in order to crack the exam.
Some key preparation tips are –
- Follow the syllabus and prepare all topics methodically
- Solve previous year papers
- Understand exam pattern well
- Set up a study plan and stick to it well
- Refer essential books and topics suggested by experts and toppers
- Revise after finishing each topic
- Attempt JEE Main 2020 mock tests
- Prepare short notes while studying to use as a reference for last-minute revision
- Take breaks to avoid fatigue
- Stay positive and be confident; avoid unhealthy competition
- Eat healthily and stay fit