The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) has been a critical admission requirement for MS in USA. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic (and other reasons), several top universities waived off the GRE requirement for Fall 2020, 2021, and 2022 intakes. Now, in order to ensure and continue the holistic admission process, many US universities are still happy to waive the GRE requirement. In this post, we have aggregated the list of top universities offering MS in USA without GRE for Fall 2023. Additionally, we will also discuss if you should take GRE even if the University does not require GRE or if it’s GRE-optional.
List of Top US Universities Offering MS Computer Science without GRE for Fall 2023
[table id=131 /]
List of Top Universities for MS in Data Science without GRE for Fall 2023
[table id=132 /]
15 Best Universities that Do Not Require GRE for MS Business Analytics for Fall 2023
- Columbia University; GRE is Not Required for Fall 2023; but applicants may submit scores [Deadlines: Jan 15 (Priority) / Feb 15 (Regular)]
- Carnegie Mellon University [Deadline: Jan 15 (Tentative)]
- University of Southern California [Deadlines: Nov 15 / Jan 15 / Feb 15 / Mar 15 / Apr 15]
- The University of Washington [Deadlines: Dec 6 / Jan 10]
- University of Minnesota; GRE is optional if you have a GPA of 3.0 (or above) [Deadlines: Nov 1 / Jan 3 / Feb 1]
- Michigan State University; provided you have a CGPA of 3.25 (out of 4.0) [Deadlines: May 1 / July 1 / Aug 1 / Sep 15 for Spring intake]
- North Carolina State University [Deadline: Dec 15]
- University of Michigan; GRE is waived off if you have a GPA of 3.30 (or above) [Deadlines: Nov 4 (R2) / Jan 6 (R3) / Feb 17 (R4)]
- UC San Diego; GRE is waiver off for Fall 2023 [Deadlines: Oct 15 (Priority) / Nov 15 (2nd Round) / Jan 15 (Fellowship) / Mar 15 (Final Int’l Deadline)]
- The University of Chicago [Deadlines: Nov 7 (Priority) / Jan 27 (Final)]
- UC Irvine; provided you have a CGPA of 3.3 (out of 4.0) [Deadlines: Oct 15 / Nov 15 / Jan 15 / Mar 1]
- UC Davis; GRE waiver available
- Northeastern University [Deadlines: Nov 5 / Jan 20 / Mar 15]
- George Washington University [Deadline: Nov 15]
- Georgia State University [Deadlines: Oct 3 / Jan 9 / Mar 13]
Need Quick Advice?
Sign up for a 30/60-Minute Consultation Call with Tanmoy Ray
Top Universities that Do NOT Require GRE for MS in Biotechnology or Biomedical Sciences
- Brown University
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Duke University
- Northwestern University
- Boston University
- University of Maryland
- New York University
- UC Santa Barbara
- Georgetown University
- University of Rochester
- Wake Forest University
- San Francisco State University
- University of Pittsburgh
- UC Santa Cruz
- Oregon State University
- University of Cincinnati
MS in USA without GRE: Few Facts
Why is GRE Important for MS Admissions?
GRE is a standardized test that treats everyone equally, giving a fair chance to all to prove their mettle.
Applicants are supposed to have a good GPA, write an effective statement of purpose (SOP), and submit letters of recommendation as well. Relevant research or work experience is an added advantage. However, the majority of universities also require GRE scores as a mandatory component. So, why do universities ask for GRE scores?
GRE score is basically a filtration tool for shortlisting or screening applications. After all, students and professionals from all over the world apply for a particular program. How would the school know the candidate is good enough to get admission? Additionally, the GRE score is also critical when it comes to awarding scholarships and other forms of financial aid.
What to do when a University Does NOT Require GRE?
If a University is not asking for GRE, that will automatically put more weight on GPA (and Class Rank), SoP (Personal Statement and Essays), and Letters of Recommendation. Factors like Demonstrate Interest and relevant work experience will also play a bigger role.
At this stage, you can’t change your GPA or influence other factors like your College Brand Name or Work Experience. However, you can certainly polish your Statement of Purpose (SoP) and influence the Letters of Recommendation. It would be only wise that you put serious effort into your essays/SoP.
Should you Take GRE if a University is GRE-Optional?
When a school announces that it is ‘GRE-optional, this simply means that GRE scores are not required to complete the application. But, you need to remember that most of these schools still do factor in GRE scores should you choose to include them in your Master’s application.
After all, graduate schools and programs use GRE to evaluate candidates for scholastic potential. Hence, if a particular school is following a test-optional policy, it’s only wise to submit the GRE scores unless you have done exceedingly well in other parameters.
If you decide to take GRE and score well, there is a higher chance of getting merit scholarships as most of your competitors will decide to apply without GRE, and your high GRE score will stand out among your competition.
However, if your GRE score is not great (or below average for that particular school), do not submit the score for the universities that are GRE-optional. That might backfire.
For the folk who want to take a shot at GRE and meet the deadlines in time, read How to Score 168+ in GRE Quant with One-Month Preparation.