Oxford University is known as the most prestigious and the oldest university in the world. The credibility of this historic university owes to its strength and distinctive structure. It is world’s second oldest university, which consistently ranks in the top 10 universities in the world.
Oxford is a collegiate university, consisting of the Central University and colleges. There are 38 colleges, which are self-governing and are independent institutions in terms of finance and decision making. Also, the Central University of Oxford is composed of academic departments and research centres, administrative departments, libraries and museums. In addition to this, there are 6 permanent private halls, which were founded by different christian denominations.
As far as the international concentration is concerned, almost, 17% percent of the Oxford students are international, covering around 140 countries. The colleges under Oxford work with a selective approach – They select and admit undergraduate students & graduate students only after they are admitted by the University.
Other than this, the colleges provide accommodation, meals, common rooms, libraries, sports and social facilities etc. and are entirely responsible for tutorial teaching for undergraduates.
The University –
- Is responsible for determining the content of the courses within which college teaching takes place.
- Organises timely lectures, seminars and lab work for enhanced knowledge of the students. And yes, they have their own TEDx platform, namely ‘TEDxOxford’
- Has a wide range of study resources for teaching and learning purposes. Such as libraries, labs, museums, tech facilities etc. to cater to all types of educational needs.
- Provide administrative services and centrally managed student services such as counselling and careers for engaging more and more students into it.
- Admit and supervise graduate students, and examine thesis.
Oxford states that ‘The collegiate system is at the heart of the University’s success, giving students and academics the benefits of belonging both to a large, internationally renowned institution and to a small, interdisciplinary academic community’.
How can you fund your studies at Oxford? – As far as the study loans are concerned, if you are a UK student or European Union student, who is undertaking their first undergraduate degree in present year, then you are eligible to get a loan from the UK government. This loan of yours, will include your tuition fee and you do not need to pay anything upfront.
In addition to this, you can also fund your living costs through these loans and access a basic maintenance loan towards your living costs regardless of your household income level.
In any case of belonging to a financially weak background, additional help is provided by the government for funding their academics.
So, if you feel like, you would like to get into Oxford University and are lost, then seek help from the counselors at Stoodnt and get yourself enrolled in the best universities of the world.