The University of Calcutta (CU), in Kolkata, West Bengal is one of the oldest and most renowned educational institutions not only in India but also in entire South Asia. Established on 24 January 1857, the university was one of the first institutions in Asia to be established as a multidisciplinary and Western-style university. Today CU has under its fold nearly 200 institutes located in the districts of Kolkata, Howrah, Hooghly, and South 24 Parganas. A host of courses in Science, Arts & Commerce are offered by the university in different colleges. The University scored 61.53 in the MHRD/NIRF Rankings for Universities2020 and was ranked 7 in India. Nobel Laureates of India who studied in CU are SIR Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman, Amartya Sen, and Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee.
- CU was the first University located to the east of Suez to teach European Classics, English Literature, European and Indian Philosophy and Occidental and Oriental History.
- The first medical school of Asia, the Calcutta Medical College was set up in 1835.Later it was affiliated to the University.
- The first college for women in India, the Bethune College was set up in 1879.
- The nation’s first homoeopathy college was established in 1880.
- The Science College was established in 1914, the first in India.
- The first blind school in India came into being in 1925 which was affiliated to the University.
- The first University Museum in India, the Ashutosh Museum, came into being in 1937.
- The Government Art College was established in 1951.
- The Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management (IISWBM) was set up in1953 as the country’s first Management Institute.
MHRD/NIRF Rankings for CU Colleges
[table id=41 responsive=scroll /]
[table id=42 responsive=scroll /]
[table id=43 responsive=scroll /]
List of top 10 CU arts, science and commerce colleges and courses offered –
[table id=44 responsive=scroll /]
Calcutta University UG Admission 2020: BA, B.Sc, B.Com & B.Li.Sc
A number of programs are offered by CU at UG level including B.Sc, BA, B.Com, B.Ed., B.Lib.Sc and BA-LL.B. While admission in BA, B.Sc & B.Com courses is completely merit-based, courses like BA-LL.B, B.Li.Sc and Integrated B.Li.Sc have an admission test and entrance is based on the score of these tests. Candidates willing to join the courses have to apply online on the official website of the university. Course fee for the B.Sc, BA, B.Com varies between rupees 60,500 to 2.57 Lakh.
Following are the details of entrance procedure –
Eligibility Criteria for admission in B.Com, Accountancy honors is pass in 10+2 with English as the main subject and selection criteria is on the basis of marks in the qualifying examination. Eligibility Criteria for admission in B.Sc (Hons.) Food & Nutrition is 10+2 with 50% marks in Chemistry. Eligibility Criteria for admission in B.Sc (Hons.) Human Development is 10+2 with Sociology/Psychology/ Education/Home Management/Physics & Chemistry/Chemistry & Biology with 50% marks. Eligibility Criteria for admission in B.Sc (General) is Pass in 10+2 and selection criteria is Merit-Based. Eligibility Criteria for admission in BA (General) is Pass in 10+2 and selection criteria is Merit-Based. Eligibility Criteria for admission in BA- LL.B is Pass in 10+2 with minimum 45% marks and selection criteria is Entrance Test conducted by the university.