Why Translation is Necessary in USCIS Requirements for Study in the US

The US has some of the most exceptional schools in the world–boasting Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and other Ivy League schools. These schools are renowned throughout the world for their name alone and as the best institutions of higher learning. It’s also one of the best countries to study medicine, law, and the arts. That’s why US universities and colleges will probably be on your bucket list of universities. Translation is necessary in USCIS.

But what if you’re an non-English speaking international student who doesn’t know how they’ll find their way there, once accepted. Not to worry. Today, this article will tackle the processes for obtaining student visas for the US, fulfilling university and government requirements. We’ll also see different steps of the USCIS translationprocess, such as USCIS certification, and the importance of the USCIS translator.

USCIS Requirements for Study Abroad in the US

Different universities will have different requirements to study abroad. For example, Harvard’s International Office has a certain procedure, for which the visa is sponsored by Harvard. Student visas sponsored by Harvard University require both a visa document issued by the Harvard International Office (HIO), as well as a visa from a US embassy or US consulate in your home country. For more information on the Harvard visa process, click here.

As a baseline, most institutions will require a USCIS student visa (the F-1 visa). Here is the criteria from the USCIS website:

Credit: (USCIS.gov)

So, the F-1 visa will allow you to enter the US as a full-time student, but it must be an accredited institution, and you must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program. Your school must also be authorized by the US government to accept international students. Check-in first with the US consulate in your home country if your school is an accredited institution, and if you meet all the critical requirements for the F-1 visa.

You might also consider the costs of being a full-time student in your chosen US college. Some of these programs may offer scholarships and fellowships, but mostly, the cost of studying abroad for Indian students, Canadian students, and other international students is high. That means you may have to work to pay for your schooling.

But, the F-1 student visa has a caveat. You may work on-campus at student jobs, but you are not allowed to work off-campus on the F-1 visa during their first year at the school. After their first year, they can opt for training programs such as Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Science Technology Engineering Mathematics Optional Practical Training Extension (STEM OPT).

The F-1 student visa has many advantages, but how do you get it? Next, we’ll go step by step into applying for the USCIS F-1 visa.

Step-by-Step Guide to US Student Visa Application

Here is a step-by-step guide to US student visa application, the F-1 visa:

  1. Apply to an institution that’s registered with the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). You must first apply and get an admission letter before you can apply for the F-1 visa. Make sure to contact your potential adviser before applying, who may also be able to advise. Once accepted, your university will give you a Form I-20 to present at your consular interview.
  2. Register with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), and pay the fee.
  3. Complete the online application for the DS-160 form, the Non-Immigrant Visa Application, and pay the application fee.
  4. Schedule an appointment at your consular office for an F-1 visa interview.
  5. Bring the following documents to your interview:
    1. Passport
    2. Form DS-160 confirmation page
    3. Form I-20
    4. Proof of paid F1 visa fee
    5. Other documentation such as original transcripts, standardized test scores, acceptance letters, previous degree diplomas
  6. Attend your interview, and answer all questions asked at your interview.
  7. Once your visa is issued, you can renew your visa after the allotted number of years it’s valid by going to the US Embassy.

The Different Steps of USCIS Translation Services

As you can probably tell, it’s a huge process. And even if you obtain the F-1 student visa, you may still be barred from entry by the Department of Homeland Security or other government agencies. Even the student visa is not a sure thing.

And what if you speak a foreign language? Many of these institutions will require you to provide certifications that you can speak or are working on English-as-a-Second Language. The F-1 visa, after all, is an English language visa. 

That’s why outsourcing to USCIS translation services may be necessary. USCIS translation services like Tomedes can help mitigate your transition to a university from your home country to the US. USCIS translation can aid in everything from university requirements to US Embassy requirements.

There are different steps of USCIS translation services:

  1. Sending Your Documents
  2. Translation
  3. Quality Assurance
  4. Certification / Certified Translation

Make sure to look for USCIS translation services that can certify your translation and have a 100% acceptance rate for USCIS. Don’t settle for anything less. The quality of the documents you submit must be as accurate as the original, or else they won’t be accepted. It could jeopardize your whole F-1 visa application, without USCIS certified translation.

The Bottom Line: The Importance of the USCIS Translator

Don’t underestimate the importance of the USCIS translator. If you’re coming from a country whose home language isn’t English, you’re going to need as much help as you can get to be accepted and to actually attend your dream school in the US.

It should be easy, but it’s not. That’s why the USCIS translator must have the knowledge base of the USCIS system as well as the linguistic expertise to translate your documents from your source language to English. Once you’re there, make sure to make the most of your study abroad experience. Don’t let anything stand in the way of you attending your dream school.

Few questions that will definitely come into our mind

Does USCIS require notarized translation?
Can I translate my own documents for USCIS?
Who can translate legal documents?
Who can translate legal documents for USCIS?

Author Bio:

Angela Fabunan is a study abroad student in the Master’s of Creative Writing Program at the University of Philippines. She graduated with a BA from Bowdoin College, USA.

If you are facing problems on choosing the right college, career paths or If you need any help on the college application process, essay/SoP/LoR reviews, please schedule a 30 or 60 minutes online 1-on-1 interactive session with any of our experienced counselors OR send an email at customer.support@stoodnt.com

Our counselors include Ex-Harvard, Ex-Stanford, Ex-Oxford, Ex-Cambridge, Ex-ESADE, Ex-UT Austin, Ex-IIM, Ex-ISB, etc.

Translate »
%d bloggers like this: